Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Weekend Recap


This past weekend Daniel, Ruth, and I went to the Lauraville Block Party. Lauraville is a neighborhood just to the northeast of us. As part of our commitment to greener living, we try to shop locally as much as we're able; the block party was another opportunity to support great local shops.

On one block in Lauraville, there are several locally-owned/operated businesses. Besides the yarn store (where Daniel picked out a skein for a replacement hat), Rock Candy(where I more than spent my extra breastfeeding calories), and Red Canoe, there is a children's store, Bediboo.

Bediboo, in cooperation with the Baltimore Attachment Parents listserv, hosted a baby wearing get together. Seeing as how I adore my pouch slings and our mei tai, I was excited to meet other baby-wearing mamas and to try some new carriers. (Baby wearing has a myriad of benefits, not the least of which is the ability to hold Ruth close but keep our hand free. The upright style of the mei tai seems to calm her especially well.)

With the help of another more experienced mama, I was able to try out a Moby wrap. I really liked the stretchy, breathable fabric and so picked one up. Ruth likes the wrap too. This afternoon, we took a short walk to get me a smoothie and Daniel some ice cream. She seemed to like being able to look around while securely attached to me (at least until she fell asleep on the way home).

We met some nice mamas at the baby wearing get together and one mama-to-be who borrowed an unusually calm Ruth to try out the mei tai carrier and to get a peek at cloth diapering.

Besides the baby wearing, we stuffed ourselves with chicken from Alabama BBQ -- we like them so much they may cater Ruth's simchat bat (baby naming) in July -- beer from local Brewer's Art and iced coffee from great local roaster Zeke's. Oh, and we watched a cute demonstration of African drumming with a kids class from Great Soul.

No comments: