Saturday, December 19, 2009

More Favorite Charities

Melissa forgot to tell me that she'd promised I'd update this with some of my own favorite charities.

First, a classic: Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). I don't know what I can add to what most people already know about MSF - if I was smarter and gutsier, I'd be doing something worthwhile with my life like working for them. They go into dangerous places and give people medical care. That's pretty bad-ass.

I've also given money to Apopo, the mine-clearing-rats place that Melissa mentioned in her last post.

One that bears special mention, I think, is Catholic Relief Services. I don't agree with everything they stand for, but they do a lot of very good work and they're my go-to charity when I'm thinking about my Catholic family. We're not going to agree on abortion any time soon, but CRS instantiates what I think is the noblest part of the Catholic doctrine: concern for the poor and marginalized.

I also feel like I should mention one that works directly with people here in my own community, which has problems of its own. Project Plase helps homeless people in Baltimore transition from the streets.

No comments: